Do you really think two turntables and a microphone is where it’s at? Dude…this is your wedding!
At best, the bride might decide to go on the honeymoon solo if you botch the music. Your wedding is neither the time nor the place to go no-frills on the DJ equipment rental. But the reception is already costing an arm and a leg. How can you stay within budget – and still make sure the music is off the hook?
The answer may surprise you: you can cut corners, not on the DJ equipment rental, but on the DJ.
The Role of the Wedding DJ
If you’re having musical entertainment, you want all the guests, from youngest to oldest, to be completely worn out from dancing at the end of the night. To make that happen, your wedding DJ should be able to:
- Respect your time. Every song counts.
- Seamlessly mix music
- Blend oldie classics with Top 40 hits, and vary the tempo so everyone is happy
- Read the crowd to gauge the guests’ mood, and adjust the playlist accordingly
In addition, you want a DJ who knows his or her way around the tech and the AV. God forbid an amp isn’t working and your Uncle Ron has to bust out the accordion to keep everyone on their feet.
How to Save on DJ Costs
Let’s face it, hiring a DJ is already more cost-effective than hiring a live band. But you can save even further if you do the following:
- Ask your family and friends if they know a great DJ. By name-dropping, you might be able to secure a discount while at the same time finding someone trustworthy and reputable.
- Ask the DJ to bundle emcee fees in with whatever they charge for spinning.
- Book your DJ well in advance.
- Book the DJ for an hour longer than you think you will need, to avoid any costly overtime charges.
- Don’t be afraid to hire a younger DJ with less experience. As long as you meet with them first to talk about your wishes, and get a good vibe, go with your gut.
Get the Best Sound for your Big Day
Now that you’ve saved on the DJ, you can afford to go with state of the art DJ equipment rental. While your DJ might have their own gear, it shouldn’t be a problem if you want come riding in like a hero with custom sound, lighting and AV screens.
At Metrocom AV, we have everything it takes to put together an incredible custom package for your wedding, with tech sourced from only the best brands. After all, we’ve provided full-scale AV set up for thousands of huge events. Trust Metrocom to set the stage for the wedding of your dreams.